IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT)
The FAFSA allows you to link your tax return directly to your application using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. This video tutorial gives instructions on how to use the tool.
In general, tax filers can anticipate that the IRS data will be available within:
- Two weeks if the tax return has been filed electronically
- Eight weeks if the tax return has been mailed
All students may not be eligible to use Data Retrieval Tool.
Tax Filers with Special Circumstances:
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool may not be available for the applicant in the following circumstances:
- A joint tax return was filed, but the student or the student’s parents have filed the FAFSA with a marital status of separated, divorced or widowed.
- If the tax filer is married to someone other than the individual included on the previous year’s joint tax return.
- If the parent or student was not married in the previous year, but is married at the time the FAFSA is filed. The current spouse’s income must be reported on the FAFSA.
- If the parents or the student is married but filed tax returns separately.
- If an amended tax return was filed.
- Applicants filing a territorial tax return or a foreign tax return may not use the IRS Tax Retrieval and must send a copy of their previous year’s tax documents.
- Victims of identity theft will submit IRS Form 14039 (Identity Theft Affidavit) with the 1040/A/EZ that was filed.
Non-Tax Filers will select the “Will not file” option if they did not/were not required to file a federal income tax return. Copies of all W-2 forms from all employers must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid at NMSU.
Requesting an IRS Tax Return Transcript
If you are required to submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript, you will be contacted by the Financial Aid Office through your myNMSU email account. There are three ways tax filers can request an IRS Tax Return Transcript in order to turn it into the Financial Aid Office.
Log into the IRS Tax Transcripts web page to have a paper transcript mailed to you within 5 to 10 days. After receiving your transcript, return it to the Financial Aid office.
(800) 908-9946 – A paper transcript will be mailed to you within 5 to 10 days. After receiving your transcript, return it to the Financial Aid office.
3. IRS Form 4506T-EZ:
Request forms can be downloaded from the IRS web page. A paper transcript will be mailed to you within 5 to 10 days. After receiving your transcript, return it to the Financial Aid office.
All Tax Return Transcripts can be hand-delivered, emailed (email@example.com), or Faxed to NMSU Financial Aid.