Take Control of Your Financial Future
Financial Aid understands that loans and repayment can seem intimidating when there is no one to guide you on making those smart money moves. So, New Mexico State University has partnered with ECMC Solutions, a private repayment counseling service that can help break down your loans, repayment options, and financial budgeting to stay on track after receiving your degree.
Student Loan Resources
Remember, if you are having trouble making your payments, you can also call the Direct Loan Servicing Center at 1-844-782-2333. The Direct Loan Servicing Center will work with you to help you avoid the serious consequences of default.
You can also log into your Federal Student Aid account to review your student loan history and to get more information on your loan servicer. Just log in with your FAFSA credentials and you’ll have quick access to your student loan account.
Aggies Dodging Default
We don’t want to see our Aggies go into default because of the following consequences:
- The entire unpaid balance and accrued interest becomes due and payable immediately
- Losing your deferment options
- Losing eligibility for additional federal student financial aid
- Your account is assigned to a collection agency
- Your account will be reported as delinquent to credit bureaus, damaging your credit rating
- The Federal Government can intercept any income tax refund due to you or you and your spouse
- Late fees, additional interest, court costs, collection fees, attorney’s fees, and other costs incurred in collecting your loan will increase your loan debt
- Your employer (at the request of the Federal Government) can garnish part of your wages and send them to the government
- The Federal Government can take legal action against you
- Losing your state-issued drivers license
- Losing your professional licensure