NMSU branding


  • You MUST have completed a Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) form. (Make sure to have your previous years tax information available. If you are a dependent student your parents’ tax information is also necessary).
  • You must be a United States citizen, national, or permanent resident to apply for Financial Aid.
  • You must have a high school diploma, a GED, or pass an independently administered test (approved by the U.S. Department of Education) to meet Ability to Benefit requirements.
  • If required, you must register with the Selective Service or sign a statement indicating you’ve done so.
  • You must be in good academic standing and be making Satisfactory Academic Progress towards your degree.
  • You must enroll at least half time (6 hours for undergraduates or 5 hours for graduates) for Federal Aid Programs and full time (12 hours for undergraduates or 9 hours for graduates) for scholarships.
  • Need must be clearly established for need-based aid.
  • You must sign a statement verifying you do not owe a refund on a Federal Grant, nor are you in default on a Federal Student Loan.
  • Students with criminal convictions have limited eligibility for federal student aid. Make sure you understand your status, but don’t assume you can’t get aid.

No student will be denied financial assistance on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.