Student loans, unlike grants and work-study, are borrowed money that must be repaid with interest.
To learn more about Federal Student Loans and how to manage your debt, visit the Federal Student Aid Gateway.
Student Loan Options
- Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans
- Federal Direct Parent PLUS
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans
- Private (Alternative) Loans
- Federal Student Loan Consolidation
- Master Promissory Notes
- Entrance Counseling
- Accept a Loan
- Exit Counseling
- NSLDS – The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education’s (ED’s) central database for student aid. NSLDS receives data from schools, guaranty agencies, the Direct Loan program, and other Department of ED programs. NSLDS Student Access provides a centralized, integrated view of Title IV loans and grants so that recipients of Title IV Aid can access and inquire about their Title IV loans and/or grant data.
Apply for Federal Direct Student Loans
(e.g. Subsidized, Unsubsidized, Parent PLUS, and Graduate PLUS)
Step 1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Step 2. If you are awarded loans, accept your loan on your myNMSU account
Step 3. Complete Entrance Counseling
Step 4. Complete Master Promissory Note (MPN)
How to Apply for a Private Loan?
Step 1. Select a Lender
Step 2. Complete and e-sign the Master Promissory Note
It is important that all borrowers understand there are borrower rights and responsibilities that must be followed.