IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT)
In general, tax filers can anticipate that the IRS data will be available within:
- Two weeks if the tax return has been filed electronically
- Eight weeks if the tax returns have been mailed.
If the tax filer has changed or corrected the Federal Income Tax Return, the amended information may not be available through the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. You will be required to submit both the original IRS Tax Return Transcript, as well as the amended IRS Tax Account Transcript, in addition to the original Tax Return that was filed, along with the original Amended Return that was filed.
Tax Filers with Special Circumstances:
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool may not be available for the applicant in the following circumstances:
- A joint tax return was filed, but the student or the student’s parents have filed the FAFSA with a marital status of separated, divorced or widowed.
- If the tax filer is married to someone other than the individual included on the previous year’s joint tax return.
- If the parent or student was not married in the previous year, but is married at the time the FAFSA is filed. The current spouse’s income must be reported on the FAFSA.
- If the parents or the student is married but filed tax returns separately.
- If an amended tax return was filed.
If an IRS 1040 will not and is not required to be filed, then the filers must affirm and attest that an IRS 1040 has not and will not be filed and that the IRS 1040 is not required to be filed. Copies of all W-2 forms from all employers must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid at NMSU.
Applicants filing a Puerto Rico tax return or a foreign tax return may not use the IRS Tax Retrieval and must send a copy of their previous year’s tax documents.
Requesting an IRS Tax Return Transcript
There are three ways tax filers can request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
Print your IRS Tax Return Transcript online!
You may also make an online request for a paper transcript by mail at the preceding link.
The transcript will be mailed to you within 5 to 10 days.
Please sign the Tax Return Transcript and send it to the Office of Financial Aid at NMSU.
(800) 908-9946 – A paper transcript will be mailed to the requestor within 5 to 10 days. Please sign the Tax Return Transcript and send it to the Office of Financial Aid at NMSU.
3. IRS Form 4506T-EZ:
Forms can be downloaded from http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf. A paper transcript will be mailed to the requestor within 5 to 10 days. Please sign the Tax Return Transcript and send it to the Office of Financial Aid at NMSU.
**Transcripts ordered using this method can be mailed directly to NMSU by the IRS only if the tax filer requests this on line #5, in which case the signature would be waived.
Other Tax Information
NASFAA’s Education Tax Benefit Guide provides details for students and families about tax credits and deductions to help lower the cost of higher education. The guide has been updated for the 2014 tax year and is free and open to the public. We encourage you to share it with anyone who may need information about education tax benefits.