Priority consideration for grants, workstudy and loans is given to students who apply for the upcoming academic year by March 1 and complete their financial aid files promptly thereafter. Most students with a current financial aid file receive a Renewal Application by January. Those not receiving a Renewal Application can access a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) after January 1.
- Completion of a new FAFSA or renewal FAFSA is necessary to be considered for financial aid.
- Certain funds are limited and are distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis to those who are eligible.
- You must file and complete your financial aid files early to be considered for maximum awarding.
For more information see the Financial Aid Timeline.
Financial Aid Workshops
The Financial Aid Office conducts workshops with information on available financial aid and tips on completing the FAFSA or Renewal Applications. Workshops are held in various locations around the state. Contact your high school counselor for the date and location most convenient for you.
Workshops are also held on the NMSU campus during spring semester. Dates and locations vary but details are available from the Financial Aid Office at our toll free phone number, 877-278-8586. Remember the staff of the Financial Aid Office are available to help you. Make an appointment to visit your financial aid advisor should you have any questions or require assistance.
Financial Aid Process
The financial aid process takes 8 to 12 weeks depending on the time of year, type of aid desired, and your promptness to requests by the Financial Aid Office. The typical order of events is shown below:
- Complete an application, either a new or renewal FAFSA, and either mail your application to the Department of Education’s processor, or submit your information online at the FAFSA web site.
- You receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) and the Financial Aid Office receives your data electronically.
- The Financial Aid Office then requests any additional information needed to complete your file.
- You submit the requested documentation to the Financial Aid Office.
- Within 4 to 6 weeks of processing time your award notification will be available for you to view online through your my.nmsu.edu.
- The Main Las Cruces Campus Federal School Code is 002657.
- If you plan to attend an NMSU Branch Campus, list both the NMSU Main Campus Federal School Code and the Branch Campus Federal School Code.
- See Contact Information for a complete list of NMSU Federal School Codes.
If you have unusual circumstances that affect your financial resources for college, make an appointment to see a financial aid advisor after filing the application and receiving a Student Aid Report (SAR). Unusual circumstances may include a reduction in income or benefits, medical expenses not covered by insurance, a death in the family, divorce, etc.