THE FOLLOWING TEXT WILL BE UPDATED FOR AID YEAR 2014-2015.
The Federal Department of Education has instituted some changes to the verification process for the 2013-2014 award year. According to the Federal Department of Education Dear Colleague Letter GEN 12-11:
The 2013-2014 verification items include the same verification items that are in place for the 2012-2013 award year, plus two additional items as follows:
- High School Completion Status – For the 2013-2014 award year, certain applicants will be required to verify their high school completion status – high school diploma, recognized equivalent of a high school diploma, or homeschool.
- Identity/Statement of Educational Purpose – For the 2013-2014 award year, certain applicants will be required to verify their identity and resubmit a Statement of Educational Purpose, as was originally provided as part of the FAFSA submission.
What this Means
If the applicant has their high school completion status selected for verification, he/she is required to submit:
- A copy of the applicant’s high school diploma OR
- A copy of the applicant’s final high school transcript that shows the date when the applicant completed secondary school education OR
- General Educational Development (GED) Certificate OR
- A State certificate received by a student after the student has passed a State-authorized examination that the State recognizes as the equivalent of a high school diploma OR
- An academic transcript of a student who has successfully completed at least a two-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s degree OR
- For a person who is seeking enrollment in an educational program that leads to at least an associate degree or its equivalent and has not completed high school but has excelled academically in high school, documentation from the high school that the student excelled academically in high school and documentation from the postsecondary institution that the student has met the formalized, written policies of the postsecondary institution for admitting such students OR
- For homeschooled students, a transcript or the equivalent, signed by the parent or guardian, that lists the secondary school courses completed by the applicant and documents the successful completion of a secondary school education OR
- A secondary school completion credential for homeschool (other than a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent) provided for under State law. (§§ 600.2, 668.32(e)(1) and (e)(4))
Note: In cases where a copy of an applicant’s high school diploma or final high school transcript is unavailable, e.g., the school is closed or located in a foreign country and the records are not available, an institution may accept alternative documentation to verify the applicant’s high school completion status.
If the applicant has their identity and statement of educational purpose verified, he/she must appear in person and present the following documentation to an institutionally authorized individual:
- A valid government-issued photo identification, such as but not limited to a driver’s license, non-driver’s license, military identification or passport AND
- A signed statement certifying that the Federal student financial assistance received will only be used for educational purposes to pay the cost of attending that institution for the 2013-2014 award year.
If an applicant is unable to appear in person, he or she must provide the institution with:
- A copy of a valid government-issued photo identification, such as but not limited to a driver’s license, non-driver’s license, military identification or passport AND
- An original notarized statement signed by the applicant certifying that the Federal student financial assistance received will only be used for educational purposes to pay the cost of attending that institution for the 2013-2014 award year. (§ 668.57(d))