IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT)
In general, tax filers can anticipate that the IRS data will be available within:
- Two weeks if the tax return has been filed electronically
- Eight weeks if the tax returns have been mailed.
All student may not be eligible to use Data Retrieval Tool.
Tax Filers with Special Circumstances:
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool may not be available for the applicant in the following circumstances:
- A joint tax return was filed, but the student or the student’s parents have filed the FAFSA with a marital status of separated, divorced or widowed.
- If the tax filer is married to someone other than the individual included on the previous year’s joint tax return.
- If the parent or student was not married in the previous year, but is married at the time the FAFSA is filed. The current spouse’s income must be reported on the FAFSA.
- If the parents or the student is married but filed tax returns separately.
- If an amended tax return was filed.
- Applicants filing a territorial tax return or a foreign tax return may not use the IRS Tax Retrieval and must send a copy of their previous year’s tax documents.
- Victims of identity theft will submit IRS Form 14039 (Identity Theft Affidavit) with the 1040/A/EZ that was filed.
Non-Tax Filers will select the “Will not file” option if they did not/were not required to file a federal income tax return. Copies of all W-2 forms from all employers must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid at NMSU.
Requesting an IRS Tax Return Transcript
There are three ways tax filers can request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
Log into http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript to have a paper transcript mailed to the requestor withing 5 to 10 days. Please send your Tax Return Transcript to the Office of Financial Aid at NMSU.
(800) 908-9946 – A paper transcript will be mailed to the requestor within 5 to 10 days. Please send your Tax Return Transcript to the Office of Financial Aid at NMSU.
3. IRS Form 4506T-EZ:
Forms can be downloaded from http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf. A paper transcript will be mailed to the requestor within 5 to 10 days. Please send your Tax Return Transcript to the Office of Financial Aid at NMSU.
All Tax Return Transcripts can be hand-delivered, emailed (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Faxed to NMSU Financial Aid.