The steps below will guide you through the financial aid process:
- Register for a FSA (Federal Student Aid) ID. (If you have submitted a FAFSA before and already have an FSA ID, skip to step 2.)
- Complete a FAFSA application.
What you may need:
- Student and parent Social Security Numbers
- Parent date of birth
- Student Alien Registration or Permanent Resident Card
- Student and parent previous years tax W-2 Forms
- Student and parent previous years tax 1099 Forms
- Student and parent previous years tax 1098-T Forms
- Student and parent previous years tax Federal Tax Returns
- Student and parent previous years tax untaxed income records (such as VA Non-Educational Benefits, child support or worker’s compensation)
- Student and parent current assets: savings, checking, cash, net worth of investments, net worth of current business and/or investment farms
- You will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) and the Financial Aid Office receives your data electronically.
- The Financial Aid Office then requests any additional information needed to complete your file.
- Submit any requested documentation to the Financial Aid Office.
If you plan to attend an NMSU Branch Campus, list both the NMSU Main Campus Federal School Code and the Branch Campus Federal School Code.
If you have unusual circumstances that affect your financial resources for college, make an appointment to see your financial aid advisor after filing the application and receiving a Student Aid Report (SAR). Unusual circumstances may include: a reduction in income or benefits, medical expenses not covered by insurance, a death in the family, divorce, etc.
Submitting A FAFSA
For seven easy steps to completing the FAFSA, view this video tutorial.
If you have any questions, please contact the Financial Aid office.
- Go to the Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) website.
- Click on View and Print Your Student Aid Report.
- Student Access page comes up. Scroll down and click select to choose the school year from the pull-down. Click next.
- FSA ID page comes up. Enter the requested information.
- SAR Transactions page comes up. Click on Transaction Number 01.
- Processing Information page comes up. Click on You the Student (on the left-hand side of the page).
- You the Student page comes up and the DRN# is on it.
For additional help, call 1-800-433-3243.